Pages

29 October 2011

breakfast in the pumpkin patch

Halloweekend has officially begun!  While costumes galore and spiked ciders took over the borough last night, this morning Brooklyn was met with a blustery cold front of snow, ice and thunderstorms.  It's like October decided to dress up as January for Halloween.  Why tread through all that mess for brunch when you can make a completely satisfactory breakfast at home?  Especially when there's so much to do before all the costume parties tonight and all the trick or treat prep that needs to get done.

So, I decided to whip up a little wake-me-up snackypoo for me and the roomie to keep us warm and fill our bellies so we'd be ready to play some crazy dress up tonight!  A quick glance over the cupboard revealed a lonely can of pumpkin leftover from last Thanksgiving and a peek in the fridge reminded me that there were still a few glasses of cider from last week's ciderfest.  Obviously that meant I had to make some warm spiced cider and pumpkin pancakes while listening to my amazing Halloween megamix!  Obviously.  I love a good pancake for breakfast so long as they don't just sit like stones in the bottom of my belly.  These spicy pancakes have a nice lightness thanks to the vinegar and using apple cider vinegar enhances the seasonal flavor.

pumpkin pancakes
mr. punkinhead approved
ingredients
1 1/2 c milk
1 egg
1 c canned pumpkin
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 c flour
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
pinch of salt
directions
1. Mix milk, egg, pumpkin, oil & vinegar until combined in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl combine all dry ingredients.  Mix wet and dry ingredients together just to blend and get rid of clumps.  
2. Pour batter onto a greased and heated skillet.  Cook completely on both sides.  Serve with maple syrup or honey.


Lovely readers, I know you wish you could have joined me for this homemade brunch and trust me when I say that I wish my kitchen were big enough to hold you all.  But you can recreate this breakfast experience on your own, megamix and all if you stay tuned!  Make sure you're following the blog - you don't need to be a fellow blogger to do this, you just need an email address.  Click on the little sidebar and join in the club!  You're all winners in my heart, but one of might get to be a real life winner so keep reading.  You better have an awesome costume!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment