Pages

01 October 2011

at least it's half veggie, right?

I made it through the day without eating any meat in honor and awareness of all the veggie folks.  My day started with cherry yogurt and chai tea.  Later on I enjoyed a banana before venturing out in search of ice cream (more on that later.)  My late lunch consisted of a salad with beets, cheddar cheese, tomato, avocado and a light vinaigrette.  It was all wonderful and totally substantial enough to get me through the day so I totally get where vegetarians are coming from.

Then I started making supper.  The pork belly was already cooked; Lizzie B took care of that with a little s&p and garlic cooked slow and low until it got nice and tender.  It looked really tasty and all I needed to do was toss it with the brussel sprouts.  I love brussel sprouts!  I prepare them lots of different ways but most often I halve them before tossing the sprouts with a little olive oil, some garlic and s&p and just let them roast in the oven until they get tender and crispy.  The oven at my current abode isn't in working order so I ended up sort of steaming the sprouts on top of the stove.  Either way it's a simple and easy recipe that can be served as a side or a main dish.  I hope you all enjoyed being vegetarian for the day and that those of you who went back to meat after a few hours enjoyed every morsel of meaty goodness!


pork belly & brussel sprouts
ingredients
3 c fresh brussel sprouts
1/4 c pork belly, cooked and cubed
salt & pepper
olive oil
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
directions
1. Heat about half a cup of water with garlic in a large fry pan over medium heat until it reaches a simmer.  Trim and halve brussel sprouts and toss with olive oil and s&p so that each piece is lightly coated.  Toss into the simmering water and let cook uncovered about 10 minutes or until lightly browned and tender.
2. Toss in pork belly to warm and crisp with the brussel sprouts.  Serve and enjoy.

*My apologies for the crummy photo; I had to use my phone because my camera remains in Brooklyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment