Pages

22 February 2012

missed connections

So apparently this week is just chock full of yummy holidays that I was unaware of.  That makes me really excited because every single day should be a holiday (especially if it's a food holiday) and I plan on marking all these red letter days on my calendar so I can properly celebrate them next year.  But my happiness and party planning are marred by the knowledge that I missed Paczki Day!  What is a paczki and why am I so disappointed to have missed the celebration of it you ask.  Well, I had never heard of them before but apparently they are sweet and chewy bits of dough that are deep fried before being filled with delicious jams or creamy custards.  Hmmm sounds a bit like a doughnut to me and since doughnuts are among my favorite foods ever, it's only natural that I would be devastated to miss the celebration of another pastry in their family tree!  What makes this oversight even worse is that these tasty treats are a traditional Polish delight.  See, I live in Greenpoint, a neighborhood with a huge Polish population so how is it possible that I missed these???  Fellow Greenpointers, did you know about this sacred holiday and just hold out on me because you knew I'd go to the trouble to buy up every single sweet morsel available at Northside?  How dare you!  Well believe you me, I will not miss this holiday ever again... the calendar has been marked.  And don't worry, I don't plan on missing out on today's celebration at all - I'm going to go enjoy a margarita as soon as I finish up swimming with my awesome new swim cap!  So if any of you would like to join me for a sweet and salty beverage in honor of National Margarita Day, feel free.  Unless you knew about Paczki Day and didn't tell me; then I might have to reconsider our friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment