Pages

12 July 2011

revuesday - old standbys

I've been super fortunate over the past few days to catch up with some wonderful friends and eat some delicious food.  Isn't it great how there are certain things and people you can always count on?  Like an old friend who you trust with everything and call in the middle of the night when you wake up in the Bronx because you fell asleep on the train or because you're having a bad day, a good restaurant is hard to find.  You know the kind I mean, cool and casual with a great menu that has something for everyone, no matter their taste or budget, where you can go for pretty much any meal and get a bite and a cocktail to makea day better or a visit special?  Well, I'm lucky to have a handful of both - great friends and tasty restaurants.  In honor of both, I thought I'd shout out just a few of the restaurants that I have found I can count on when me or my friends and guests are craving a bite.  Starting with -

Cafeteria.  I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I went to this restaurant long ago when my friend Jill and I were visiting her cousin and I loved it then, too.  Again though, not positive.  Well I've been here on quite a few occasions and have enjoyed everything I've ever ordered, especially the Cobb Salad and the Mac n Cheese.  Their menu consists primarily of high-end diner staples with a twist.  Really delicious twists like cranberry aioli, apple cider coleslaw, truffle parmesan... mouthwatering.  The cocktails at Cafeteria are amazing too; seasonal, fresh, creative and strong!  The best part about this restaurant is that it's open all day and night.  Yup, 24/7.  And for a relatively hip spot in Chelsea, the prices are pretty reasonable; I mean, I can afford to eat there.

so fresh and so good

One of my favorite restaurants in the city is also one of the oldest restaurants in the city - Pete's Tavern.  Now, McSorely's may claim to be the oldest bar in New York but I'm not so sure about that.  Pete's also stakes a claim in that rite by pointing out that they remained open during Prohibition under the guise of a flower shop, but that might just make them the oldest continuously open bar in the city.  Either way, Pete's gets my vote since it's the only bar that can lay claim to having been a part of O. Henry's writing career.  Since The Gift of the Magi is one of my all-time favorite love stories, I find it completely awesome that there is the possibility of my butt sitting in the same seat as the writer of that great work!  

Beyond the awesome historic essence that Pete's has, they serve up some pretty great pub grub, too.  I never really venture too far from standard pub food, but when I do I'm always pleased.  More often than not though, I order the exact same thing every time - a bacon bleu cheeseburger, medium rare, with sauteed mushrooms and onions, and a schmear of mayo and ketchup, and a side of big fat steak fries - and splitting it with my honey at least one Friday every month; it's kind of our thing.  We enjoy it with the house ale, dark and strong.  Sometimes we split the fried calamari and sometimes we get a side of thick and heart split pea soup or creamy clam chowder, but we always get the burger.  And we always leave happy.  The fact that it's just down the block from work doesn't hurt either.  Go here if you like history or food or NYC or a good time.  Just go here.


Last but not least, my go to neighborhood brunch spot, Enid's, is perfect for hungover Sundays with friends who slept on the couch, travelers passing through, and those early morning visits from mom.  Typical brunch fare with a slightly Southern flare is served up alongside my absolute favorite Bloody Mary ever!  It's almost a meal in itself.  Justin always gets the Hungry Bear, a huge biscuit and gravy sandwich with eggs, and regrets it since after cleaning his plate he usually has to be rolled out of the restaurant since he's so stuffed full of yummy goodness.  The huevos rancheros are always awesome, the pancakes are seasonal and ginormous, grits are great... seriously this place is perfect.  I usually order the egg special with a side of collared greens, french press coffee, and at least a couple of Bloody Marys.  Hey what's brunch without a buzz?

best bloody mary ever!

So to all of my friends who stick around, the ones I can count on to be my old standbys, thank you for being awesome and listening to me and letting our lives connect.  And to these three restaurants, thanks for filling me up with good food, great drinks, and good times with the best friends I could ever ask for.

1 comment:

  1. I too am blessed with friends I can count on for anything--you are in the top 3!

    ReplyDelete