Pages

05 May 2011

¡holy guacamole!

I'm pretty sure that everyone I've ever met claims that their guacamole is the best guacamole in the world.  Until now, I'd never made guacamole, but last time I checked there are only about five ingredients mashed together, so how can any one person's version be better than the next? Simple.  I found out tonight how important the ratios of those few ingredients can be when, for the first time ever, I made my own guacamole.  And let me tell you, it was the best guacamole in the world.

I decided that I wouldn't even follow a recipe to make the guac.  Well, it wasn't as much a decision that I made as it was not having a reliable recipe.  I asked Helen for hers (of course she swears it's the best in the world) but she said she couldn't give it to me because she didn't have one since she just eyeballed it and made it to taste.  She was, however, nice enough to give me a list of ingredients and a pencil drawing of how the final product should look.  I think I'll save her the embarrassment of posting the picture, but the ingredients can be shared with everyone - 

ingredients 
(all are to taste)
avocados
tomatoes, diced
white onion, coarsely chopped
fresh cilantro
salsa
salt & pepper
fresh lime juice


There aren't really any directions other than mashing up all the ingredients to taste and consistency, so...

directions
1. Mash up all ingredients to taste & consistency 

If the avocados are still a little firm, it helps if you have something heavy to mash them up with.  I started with a spoon and then switched to a fork, then a pestle and mortar, then I finally made my husband take over and smash the green goodness.  We both got a pretty good workout.

for real, best guacamole ever!
I served the avocado-y goodness alongside my famous chicken quesadillas.  My secret, slow cooking boneless, skinless thighs in a mix of chicken stock, sofrito and racaito at a low heat until it just shreds apart.  Then I heat the tortilla in a pan, flip it, fill it, fold it and crisp it up.  Yum!  We kept it simple tonight and just filled the quesadillas with chicken, jalapenos, and Mexican mixed shredded cheeses.  Topped with my now world famous guacamole, sour cream and salsa, and you have the perfect meal.


See that salsa over there on the right?  It's the Brooklyn Borough salsa from the Brooklyn Salsa Company.  Holy guacamole is it hot and spicy!  Totally tasty, but if you're anything like me, you will certainly need something to cool off your mouth because it will be on fire.  That's why it's very important to have a spiked horchata close at hand.  A horchata is a traditional rice-based Mexican beverage flavored with vanilla, almonds and cinnamon.  I made my own version by warming whole milk, almond flour, confectioner's sugar, and fresh cinnamon sticks.  Oh yeah, and rum.  Then I let it chill and serve it in a tall glass over ice.  Perfect thirst quencher and spice soother.  I resisted the cocktail temptation to make a huge batch of horchatas and only made one for myself.  But had I made the entire batch, I would have worked off my gal Martha's recipe and it would have looked something like this - 


horchata (a variation of Martha Stewart's recipe)
ingredients
4 c 2% milk
2 cinnamon stick
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c almond flour
2 tsp bourbon vanilla
1/2 c light rum (I used 10 Cane and boy was it delicious!)
directions
1. Heat milk and cinnamon sticks in a small saucepan over a medium flame.  When it starts to simmer, remove from heat.  Whisk in condensed milk, flour and vanilla.  Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Strain mixture through a cheesecloth into a pitcher and stir in the rum.  Split up into four tall, ice filled glasses.  Garnish with fresh ground cinnamon and cinnamon sticks.

After gorging on all that food, both the spicy and sweet, I think it's safe to say that I have celebrated Cinco de Mayo quite successfully.  So congrats to Mexico for beating the French back in the day and giving us this fabulous holiday celebrated with food and drink!  So now it's time for a post-supper siesta followed up with a (hopefully holiday themed) bikes and burlesque fiesta.  Hot like Mexico, enjoy! Ole!


1 comment:

  1. Whoa - sounds delicious! We celebrated Cinco de Mayo by eating Chick-fil-a....

    ReplyDelete