Pages

14 June 2011

the problem with panko

I keep buying the Japanese style Panko breadcrumbs because I feel like they're lighter than regular breadcrumbs which, in my twisted mind, makes them healthier.  Unfortunately, I can never seem to cook well with them.  No matter what I use to coat fish or chicken, eggs, oil, nothing, the breadcrumbs stick until they hit the pan.  As soon as the heat hits, the crunchy crumbly coating is shed from the protein and ends up like ice cream cake crunchies at the bottom of the skillet.


Sometimes that's okay, like tonight when I was just whipping up some chicken cutlets to top off a cobb salad and the crunchy breadcrumbs added a crouton-like quality to the salad.  But most of the time cooking with Panko just seems like a waste.  Anyone have any tips to cooking with Panko?  Or some recipes I should try out?  Keep me posted and until I figure it out, I'll just keep ending up with a crunchy coated pan and plain old chicken.  At least the cobb salad was perfectly wonderful!  How could it not be with ingredients like spring greens, avocado, bleu cheese, hard boiled eggs, peppery chicken, fresh chives, baby beefsteak tomatoes, and everyone's favorite, bacon!


Also... Cookie Congratulations to the Class of 2011!  Your antics will be sorely missed in the library.  Seriously, you were one of the most brilliant and fun group of kids I've ever had the pleasure of working with and I wish you all nothing but the very best as you move on to the rest of your lives.  And I'll be sure to keep a stash of cookies around for when you come back and visit - because y'all better stop in and say hi when you're home on your breaks!

to the class of 2011. congratulations gang!

No comments:

Post a Comment