Pages

13 August 2011

bon appetit & joyeux anniversaire!

Today should be declared an international holiday.  For today is Julia Child's birthday! 


So here's to the woman who couldo it all.  She truly was an inspiration, taking on Le Cordon Bleu with a bunch of dudes who dominated the kitchen, mastering culinary skills with heart andetermination, and redefining French cuisine for American and international audiences of at-home cooks.  But most importantly, she did it all with a smile on her face and a sense of humor that made her audience feel like they were friends, hanging out with her in the custom tall-countered kitchen.  I love watching old videos of The French Chef.  She totally cracks me up... and makes me giggle and think of Dan Aykroyd gushing blood all over the stage on Saturday Night Live (Save the liver!)



Though I've yet to truly master any of the recipes put forth in the groundbreaking book written by Julia Child, Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, I did break out one of the volumes this morning to prepare special birthday crepes.  Unfortunately, mine were really just pancakes, especially since I don't have one of those fancy crepe pans.  They weren't the slightest bit french, just sloppy ole American flapjacks, but I tried.  And I think today we should all at least try to indulge in something slightly French in honor of that great gal!


thanks aunt patty!


Today, I plan on cracking open her final book, My Life in France.  I've read it in bits and pieces, but I think it's about darn time I sit down with a glass of wine and really dive into it.  In the memoir, Julia provides a marvelous little nugget of knowledge that is so perfectly true -


 "This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook - try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!" 


It's so simply perfect and applicable to just about everything in life, not just cooking.  I can't wait to read all about her adventures, her love of food and friends.  That's sure to be a fun novel nosh so get ready.



However you celebrate the day (a wine and cheese party, perhaps?), make sure you take Julia's advice and have fun.  Happy Birthday, Julia Child!  And thank you. 

1 comment: