Pages

23 September 2012

matryoshkas in midwood

As many of you are well aware, the grocery store is pretty much my most favorite place in the entire world. And the only thing I love more than a grocery store is a foreign grocery store. For this reason (and many, many more) New York is the greatest city in the world. All you need to travel to a far off destination is subway fare, a bike, or a good pair of walking shoes. Today was my first day as the Sunday storyteller at a branch of the Brooklyn Public Library in a neighborhood of my borough that I've never been to - Midwood. Down towards the bottom of the borough, Midwood is a bit like Brighton Beach with it's predominantly Russian and Jewish population. So you can imagine my delight when I realized that I had arrived early enough to pop my head into the local supermarket. It's called Meat Heaven. That name is not an exaggeration. They have so much cool stuff in there! But since I didn't have a ton of time, I could only choose one souvenir; I will, after all, be back every week for the next two months. So I picked out the sweetest, most culturally appropriate item I could find - this chocolate bar. How cute! If I had had more time and if I weren't on my bike I may have come home with an entire shopping bag filled with foreign goodies. Here's hoping for a rainy Sunday before my time at this branch is up!

By the way, kiddos... this is my first attempt at mobile blogging. The delirious kitchen has entered the 21st century! What do we think?

No comments:

Post a Comment